Network & Systems Monitoring Engineer (Netcool)
5-7 years of Computer Networking or Network Operations experience
Location: Washington, DC
U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residents or similar authorization to work only (required by US Government client)
JOB SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Serve as Systems Monitoring Engineer supporting an enterprise-level monitoring support system within a federal agency. This role requires the set up and creation of monitors using Tivoli NetCool and monitoring and alert dashboards from diverse sources such as Oracle OEM, EMC Control Center(ECC), Cisco Works, Cisco DCNM, Altiris, HP Insight Manager, and SolarWinds. You will serve as the subject matter expert on network monitoring and alerting, and work closely with our client’s IT teams when needed. The Systems Monitoring Engineer is expected to be fully aware of the client organization’s monitoring and alerting goals as established by its stated policies, procedures and guidelines and to actively work towards upholding those goals.
- Develop/update monitoring operations strategy for ~500 server environment.
- Support planning and design of networking and monitoring architecture for all systems.
- Implement monitoring for servers, network components, and other Data Center components for potential problems and anomalies.
- Assist with the development of system architectures and project plans
- Integrate the output of existing monitoring tools into a single user interface provides for centralized notification functions, event correlation and status updates
- Proactively check log files, analyze repeating events, and fine-tune threshold settings
- Develop and maintaining thorough documentation for the systems monitoring supported
- Collaborate on critical IT projects to ensure that alerting and monitoring needs are addressed throughout the project life cycle.
- Participate in meetings with Federal personnel as requested. • Report to management concerning residual risk and vulnerabilities.
- Maintain and build relationships with business units and serve as a consultant to teams and manager to ensure compliance with monitoring standards and guidelines through applicable policies, procedures and processes.
- Document monitoring and alerting concerns, and alert appropriate parties on issues in accordance with contractual SLAs.
- Maintain status reports and priority of all monitoring issues on a regular basis.
- Recommend and provide input to Disaster Recovery protocols.
- Assist in returning to normal the operations of all essential systems and networks after events such as disaster recovery, cyber-attacks, vandalism, and equipment failure.
- Perform additional, related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5-7 years of Computer Networking or Network Operations experience
- Knowledge of TCP/IP
- Demonstrated experience working with NetCool/Tivoli Business Service Manager (TBSM)
- Demonstrated experience in OS and Network device logs
- Ability to work effectively with and lead team members
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and solutions to a variety of audiences
- Comfortable working in complex, fast paced, fluid environments
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline highly desired but can be substituted with 4 additional years of experience
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residents or similar authorization to work only (required by US Government client)
- We cannot consider any overseas or remote candidates who cannot relocate to Washington, DC, Maryland or Northern Virginia.
- Employee can work remotely occasionally.
Contact careers @ artemisconsultinginc.com with resume (MS Word format preferred)